Change in plans...again
I am finally ready to commit to the Kiawah Island Marathon. My training runs had been going well. My races were even better - two personal bests within the week (Tufts 10K and Baystate Half Marathon). I decide to take the plunge.
I click on the "register now" link...
Registration Full
Are you kidding me? Who has ever heard of this race? How can registration be full?
Reality sinks in and my Ironman-trained mind kicks into motion. That's okay. There has to be another race. I am sure I will be able to find a good, small marathon that is inexpensive and easy to travel to.
I search MarathonGuide for the perfect marathon.
Requirements: Small race, inexpensive and easy to travel to, somewhat hilly (flat/downhill races = painful legs), no earlier than December, no later than mid-January.
I am flexible... easy to please... right?
Well now the choice has been narrowed down to two - Las Vegas or Rocket City Marathon.
Both are reasonably small; Rocket City being significantly smaller (small enough that I could place in the top 25 of my age group) than Las Vegas (~15,000 entrants expected).
According to a recent flight and hotel search, it is cheaper to head to Huntsville, Alabama. On the flip side, Las Vegas is a fun place to be... especially with the wave pool at Mandalay Bay and my good friends Lisa and Robin will be running the marathon, too. Decisions, decisions....
So, which will it be?
I click on the "register now" link...
Registration Full
Are you kidding me? Who has ever heard of this race? How can registration be full?
Reality sinks in and my Ironman-trained mind kicks into motion. That's okay. There has to be another race. I am sure I will be able to find a good, small marathon that is inexpensive and easy to travel to.
I search MarathonGuide for the perfect marathon.
Requirements: Small race, inexpensive and easy to travel to, somewhat hilly (flat/downhill races = painful legs), no earlier than December, no later than mid-January.
I am flexible... easy to please... right?
Well now the choice has been narrowed down to two - Las Vegas or Rocket City Marathon.
Both are reasonably small; Rocket City being significantly smaller (small enough that I could place in the top 25 of my age group) than Las Vegas (~15,000 entrants expected).
According to a recent flight and hotel search, it is cheaper to head to Huntsville, Alabama. On the flip side, Las Vegas is a fun place to be... especially with the wave pool at Mandalay Bay and my good friends Lisa and Robin will be running the marathon, too. Decisions, decisions....
So, which will it be?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home