Beth Blake's Blog

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Traffic lights are never long enough...

when you are on your bike.

Today after run hills, I pulled a superwoman and changed in Dunkin Donuts' bathroom, splurged on a small hazelnut coffee, and high-tailed it to my mechanics in Needham.

I dropped the car off for an oil change, inspection sticker, and other *hopefully* little ailments, and then grabbed my coffee, clipped into my bike, and started my commute to work (Lexington).

The directions I mapped out suggested the route was a little over 12 miles and rather direct. This is important for solo-riding Beth, as I am prone to getting lost. I decided to take it easy and enjoy my cup o' java.

As I spun out of Needham and clipped the corner of Wellesley, it was apparent that drinking the rest of my coffee was going to be a challenge. In true Massachusetts fashion, the roads were unforgiving - holes the size of my head, debris from previous car crashes, and tree branches and leaves littered the shoulder of the road.

By the time I got into Waltham, half of my coffee had spilled out of my cup and dripped all over my bike frame (dammit, I just cleaned it). Also, with the added wind chill, my hot coffee was now ice. it didn't help that DnD cheaped out on the lids for the small cups. Unlike the medium and large coffee lids, the small cups' lids have these little wells that fill with spilled coffee. This means if you plan to drink it on the go - good luck! Hopefully, you won't be wearing it all over your face (eh hem...not that I would know this from experience).

Bottom line: if I wanted to have my coffee, I was going to have to enjoy it when I was stopped. I looked forward to each traffic light. But each time I pulled up, the light would change. I looked at my remaining coffee longingly... I just needed a sip.

Why were the lights working in my favor today?

Pretty soon, my office came into sight. I spun into the alley way, took my shallow cup of coffee and debated whether to drink the remaining sip or just chuck the ice cold drink. Without too much hesitation, I ditched my java in the dumpster.

At least, Lexington Center is filled with coffee shops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home