Have you lost your mojo?
Andy Roddick was not the first to talk about losing his mojo.
During Le Tour, OLN commentator Bob Roll lost his, too. Well, at least he claimed to have during the Trek Lucky 7 Sweepstakes.
So what is your mojo? Did you lose it? Have you found it?
For me, my mojo does not come from numbers. Heart rate monitors and splits just mess with my head. What good is knowing my watts on the bike if I don't feel it? I don't care if they are the facts.
As Lisa Bentley said the Friday before Ironman Canada, "You can't win a race on facts alone, but you can win a race on attitude."
This past March at the Los Angeles Marathon, it was a really hot day, especially coming off training in a brutal New England winter. I was super nervous at the start and my heart rate reflected this.
By mile two, my heart rate had sky rocketed to Zone 3. I felt tired. The sun was so strong. I was hot. I was dehydrated.
What good is it knowing my heart rate? I knew I felt like crap. I knew it was going to be a tough day. I knew my hopes of a PR should be saved for another race.
So what did my heart rate tell me that I already didn't know?
All my heart rate information did was feed into my panic and make the race harder. This did not fuel my mojo.
My mojo comes from listening to my body and racing with my heart. This is more fun for me than looking at a readout. I don't need a gadget to tell me what my body is saying. I know when it has had enough - don't you hear it screaming at you on your last mile repeat at the track? I sure don't need an interpreter!
Even Bob I-lost-my-mojo Roll agrees, "If you desire to be groovy and flowing instead of battling and conquering, miles-per-hour is the last equation you want to pay attention to."
So maybe I am on to something...?
During Le Tour, OLN commentator Bob Roll lost his, too. Well, at least he claimed to have during the Trek Lucky 7 Sweepstakes.
So what is your mojo? Did you lose it? Have you found it?
For me, my mojo does not come from numbers. Heart rate monitors and splits just mess with my head. What good is knowing my watts on the bike if I don't feel it? I don't care if they are the facts.
As Lisa Bentley said the Friday before Ironman Canada, "You can't win a race on facts alone, but you can win a race on attitude."
This past March at the Los Angeles Marathon, it was a really hot day, especially coming off training in a brutal New England winter. I was super nervous at the start and my heart rate reflected this.
By mile two, my heart rate had sky rocketed to Zone 3. I felt tired. The sun was so strong. I was hot. I was dehydrated.
What good is it knowing my heart rate? I knew I felt like crap. I knew it was going to be a tough day. I knew my hopes of a PR should be saved for another race.
So what did my heart rate tell me that I already didn't know?
All my heart rate information did was feed into my panic and make the race harder. This did not fuel my mojo.
My mojo comes from listening to my body and racing with my heart. This is more fun for me than looking at a readout. I don't need a gadget to tell me what my body is saying. I know when it has had enough - don't you hear it screaming at you on your last mile repeat at the track? I sure don't need an interpreter!
Even Bob I-lost-my-mojo Roll agrees, "If you desire to be groovy and flowing instead of battling and conquering, miles-per-hour is the last equation you want to pay attention to."
So maybe I am on to something...?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home