Taste it again, for the first time
I know you are probably thinking - where is she going with this borrowed slogan from Total? Try to stay with me on this one... there is a point ;)
I just enjoyed pistachio frozen yogurt from the ice cream shop downstairs: Rancatore's. Before I ordered this flavor, I had asked to try the chocolate mousse frozen yogurt (gettin' hungry, aren't ya?). The taster spoon they gave me was so tiny and cute - it reminded me of a spoon made for Pinky, my dolly from when I was a toddler.
Joking with my colleague Margaret, I said, "I am going to eat my frozen yogurt with this little spoon because it tastes different." She laughed, and admitted that she does this all the time.
For some reason, eating with the taster spoon made the frozen ice cream taste better. I have had Rancatore's pistacchio frozen yogurt before - it wasn't a new flavor to my taste buds. In fact, eerily enough, the frozen yogurt didn't taste abnormal. But in my mind, I was excited about this "new flavor".
So why did it taste better? This frozen treat is nothing new to me...
Similarly, this has happened to me before while working-out on one of my training routes. Starting from my house, this route covers 2.5 miles until the start of a 4 mile loop. When I first started to train for triathlons, this became my standard bike route. It was close to home so if I got a flat tire I could easily schlep home, yet, I could also add distance to my ride by doing multiple loops. Needless to say, I knew this route very well. In fact, it started to get old, fast.
As I progressed as an athlete, I started to tackle longer distances - including marathons. Pretty soon, my standby bike route turned into a long-run route.
Even though I had covered this terrain, time and time again, my standard route looked new. I noticed different houses; the terrain and landscape appeared unfamiliar. It was as if I was training on a new route.
Was my mind playing tricks on me? Could it be that my perspective of something so familiar and stale had changed to something new and exciting just by approaching it differently?
Next time I need motivation or a fresh approach to my food, training, or life - I will remember my taster spoon and think how I can "taste it again, for the first time".
I just enjoyed pistachio frozen yogurt from the ice cream shop downstairs: Rancatore's. Before I ordered this flavor, I had asked to try the chocolate mousse frozen yogurt (gettin' hungry, aren't ya?). The taster spoon they gave me was so tiny and cute - it reminded me of a spoon made for Pinky, my dolly from when I was a toddler.
Joking with my colleague Margaret, I said, "I am going to eat my frozen yogurt with this little spoon because it tastes different." She laughed, and admitted that she does this all the time.
For some reason, eating with the taster spoon made the frozen ice cream taste better. I have had Rancatore's pistacchio frozen yogurt before - it wasn't a new flavor to my taste buds. In fact, eerily enough, the frozen yogurt didn't taste abnormal. But in my mind, I was excited about this "new flavor".
So why did it taste better? This frozen treat is nothing new to me...
Similarly, this has happened to me before while working-out on one of my training routes. Starting from my house, this route covers 2.5 miles until the start of a 4 mile loop. When I first started to train for triathlons, this became my standard bike route. It was close to home so if I got a flat tire I could easily schlep home, yet, I could also add distance to my ride by doing multiple loops. Needless to say, I knew this route very well. In fact, it started to get old, fast.
As I progressed as an athlete, I started to tackle longer distances - including marathons. Pretty soon, my standby bike route turned into a long-run route.
Even though I had covered this terrain, time and time again, my standard route looked new. I noticed different houses; the terrain and landscape appeared unfamiliar. It was as if I was training on a new route.
Was my mind playing tricks on me? Could it be that my perspective of something so familiar and stale had changed to something new and exciting just by approaching it differently?
Next time I need motivation or a fresh approach to my food, training, or life - I will remember my taster spoon and think how I can "taste it again, for the first time".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home