A long time coming... Las Vegas Marathon

^ while waiting for the tram, we met up with some marathoning showgirls

^ hitting the slots before the big race

^ post race Robin, Grams, Lisa and Beth
Las Vegas - a city that thrives on luck and taking chances. Where else could you bet on a marathon or hit the slots minutes before the race start?
Although I welcome it when it comes, I am certainly not one to go on luck alone. In fact, I always err on the side of caution... as I am constantly plagued by "What if...?'s".
For the marathon, I took charge of what I could control. And 'blew on the dice' when it came to any outside factors.
I did all the work leading up to Vegas. Speed work, hill repeats, mid-week distance, long, and recovery runs. Sure I missed a workout here or there, but overall, I remained consistent.
I believed in my running. Since I started running in April 2001, I have covered many miles and experienced a multitude of highs and lows. I knew I could cover the distance, but I lacked a certain amount of courage that was needed to get me to the next level. This summer, my fear of failure lost-out to my desire to succeed.
I love to run. I love my training buddies. I feel so lucky to experience this, and wish that everyone was able to feel what I feel. This is my element. It may not have been when I was first introduced, but I have opened my mind and heart to this world of fitness.
With confidence in my pre-race formula, all I needed was to hit the right card in order to 'rake in the pot'. And let me tell you, I was determined to get the right card!
I was nervous, but welcomed the challenge. The sun was strong, but my visor and shades protected me while the crisp air cooled me. The forceful wind tried to slow my pace, but there were plenty of runners to tuck behind.
Many runners sprinkled the course, but I never felt crowded. I enjoyed the company of my fellow runners - between teammates Robin and Lisa, the group of showgirls, 20+ soon-to-be-married marathoning couples, a man wearing nude-colored panties, and Elvis-impersonating runners, there was never a dull moment.
And...
I ran the entire way.
I picked it up at the end.
I hurt like hell at mile 23, but I pushed on.
My heart wanted that sub 4 hour.
I negative split my run - second half was ~3 minutes faster than my first half.
I ran a personal best.
I ran 26.2 miles in 3:58:57.
I haven't stopped smiling since Sunday morning.
Maybe the right cards just fell in my hand, but I am confident that luck was not the driving force behind this personal win. For me, it was a combination of motivation, determination, and heart that kept me going.
Maybe luck is really just something you think you have when you have the other forces?

1 Comments:
I think I have been smiling since Sunday too Bethie!! I am soooo proud of you, I can still draw a tear or too of joy!! xo
By
TriJoni, at 11:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home