Sunday's adventure
This past Sunday, my friend Lisa and I tackled our second-to-last long run. It's hard to believe I will start tapering for Vegas in two weeks!
Sunday was also the 2nd Annual Watertown Boys & Girls Club 5k (yes, the place where I swim). Lisa and I thought it would be nice to show our support to WBGC and incorporate this race into our long run.
Starting out a little past 8:20a.m., Lisa and I ran from my house to the Club (7 miles). To our delight, we showed up just in time to register, use the facilities, say hi to friends, and do a few pick-ups.
Bang
One hundred fifty-six runners, myself included, were off - with yours truly starting only two behind the front line. This was a new experience for me, as I have never started a race in the front. What a rush! Thoughts of holding a 9 minute/mile pace flew out the window as fast as the lead runners rounded the corner.
Knowing I had to run home still, I finally calmed my pace down around mile two. The rest of the race, I was glued to my personal rabbit (all I can remember is his green shirt), using him to block the wind and pace me so I wouldn't leave it all at the race. I stayed with him until we had about a half mile left of the race. At this point, I re-evaluated my energy stores and plowed past my rabbit, and into the finish stretch. Thanks, Rabbit!
final time: 25:23
pace: 8:10min/mile
age group: 3rd out of 16
This was a personal best for me, but in all fairness, I haven't done a 5K race (that wasn't part of a triathlon) in about 4 years.
Lisa and I met up post-race, congratulated each other and our teammates' Nisha (first female overall) and Marla, and made our way back to my place.
The 7-miles return-trip was definitely tougher than our commute there, but luckily Lisa and I had each other to push-on home.
What a fun way to get in a long run!
One more big push then the paranoia of tapering begins...
Sunday was also the 2nd Annual Watertown Boys & Girls Club 5k (yes, the place where I swim). Lisa and I thought it would be nice to show our support to WBGC and incorporate this race into our long run.
Starting out a little past 8:20a.m., Lisa and I ran from my house to the Club (7 miles). To our delight, we showed up just in time to register, use the facilities, say hi to friends, and do a few pick-ups.
Bang
One hundred fifty-six runners, myself included, were off - with yours truly starting only two behind the front line. This was a new experience for me, as I have never started a race in the front. What a rush! Thoughts of holding a 9 minute/mile pace flew out the window as fast as the lead runners rounded the corner.
Knowing I had to run home still, I finally calmed my pace down around mile two. The rest of the race, I was glued to my personal rabbit (all I can remember is his green shirt), using him to block the wind and pace me so I wouldn't leave it all at the race. I stayed with him until we had about a half mile left of the race. At this point, I re-evaluated my energy stores and plowed past my rabbit, and into the finish stretch. Thanks, Rabbit!
final time: 25:23
pace: 8:10min/mile
age group: 3rd out of 16
This was a personal best for me, but in all fairness, I haven't done a 5K race (that wasn't part of a triathlon) in about 4 years.
Lisa and I met up post-race, congratulated each other and our teammates' Nisha (first female overall) and Marla, and made our way back to my place.
The 7-miles return-trip was definitely tougher than our commute there, but luckily Lisa and I had each other to push-on home.
What a fun way to get in a long run!
One more big push then the paranoia of tapering begins...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home