Beth Blake's Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A serving of humble pie... my favorite!



^racing skate-skiiers courtesy of www.mines.edu/fs_home/jberger

This year, I have had a very successful triathlon season (PRed in the half ironman and ironman), followed by a constantly improving running season (PRed in the 5k, 10k, half marathon, and marathon).

This past Sunday, I finished the "moderately challenging" (those who have done the race know that this is a joke!) Boston Prep 16 miler in Derry, New Hampshire, where I smashed my time from last year by 15 minutes. Check out the profile, it's got hills!

I love succeeding... who doesn't?

However, I have been craving a piece of humble pie. I know the importance to staying humble - it makes you appreciate what you have and celebrate when you are able to reach your successes. It also keeps you focused and true to your training, not to mention the things you can learn from it.

I finally got served!

After my marathon, I wanted to try something new and non tri related. I always loved nordic skiing, so why not try the faster version - skate skiing - afterall, I love to speed!

Last Thursday, Helen and I signed up for the Introductory to Skate-Skiing series at the Weston Ski Track. The class promises two, hour-and-a-half lessons along with a 3 weeks trail pass and rental. Helen and I were accompanied by the instructor and two other begginers. We learned to ski without poles, balance, and transfer energy from our legs to excel forward. We practiced going up and down hills, gliding, oy vey - I suck!

I might be exaggerating, but not by much. I am able to move on the skis - I can get from point A to B. And, I only lost my balance a handful of times.

But... I don't move as beautifully or gracefully as our instructor nor am I able to zip along the trails like the young kids who appear to be in the single digit years of their life. In fact, I don't move as well as my classmates - they got the glide down without any problems. Why do I feel like a cartoon character getting ready to run - you know how their legs are moving for a few revolutions before they take off?

Luckily, Ironman attitude takes over self pity - I am determined to learn. If you are on the fence about doing an Ironman here is yet another reason to try it.

I also hear Mariana say, "Just try!" Mariana has always been the little devil (or angel) that sits on the side of my shoulder and pushes me out of my confort zone.

So try I do, and will.

My last lesson is this Thursday. I have been working on 'committing' the power transfer from one leg to the other - that is what propels you to move forward. As opposed to playing it safe, and keeping all my power in the middle.

You could argue that skate-skiing and life are very similar. Sometimes you need to take a chance in order to move forward.

Isn't humble pie good? You can learn so much from it!

I hope I didn't lose you in my thoughts...!

1 Comments:

  • Ahhh, as always I hate it when the posting ends, I get so caught up that the world ceases to exist around me, ok maybe a bit over the top, but you get my drift!!! Thanks for giving another lift of motivation Beth!!! I love that you are stepping out of the safe zone it inspires us to do the same!!

    By Blogger TriJoni, at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home