A weekend of endurance: what training and partying have in common

^ Matt and I belt out Jet City Woman by Queensryche - oh yeah!

^ B-day girl Meghan, Matt and I join up with Pete, Tania and Robin for a rocking good time.

^ The Flacas are up to no good and Kelly (a Limelight employee) exploits it.

^ Taking over the main stage - The Flacas bust up another party.

^ Thank you, thank you very much!
This weekend was absolutely mad. I don't think I was home for the majority of it.
After a challenging week at work - you know the kind where you feel like steam is coming out your ears? - I kicked my weekend off at our favorite hang out with Julie and Tania.
Pacing... Vodka tonics did not flow like water, afterall, I had to run 14 miles the next morning. I did manage to lose track of time and found myself getting tucked into bed ~2:30am.
Saturday morning, Joni and I ran in a monsoon. It wasn't more than a drizzle to start and I saw many Boston Marathoners out running. But as the miles ticked away, the rain became stronger. By the end of the run, we were absoutely drenched and spent.
Staying positive... I went home a mile short and trashed from the workout. My body ached. I wanted nothing more than to stay in bed.
One foot in front of the other... But I am an endurance athlete and 'keep moving' is one of my mantras for the Ironman. Cleaned, fueled, and dressed up, I made my way downtown to Meghan's surprise birthday party at Limelight. It was a rock star kinda night and I was not about to come up short!
Balls to the wall... Overtaking the karyoke bar, we jammed til our throats hurt. Known as The Flacas, we got our picture taken for the Herald (it's suppose to be in Fridays paper). Time to roll.
Finishing off the night, we caught the tail end of the Patriots game at the LB and clashed drinks with our favorite regulars. This time the vodka did flow.
Leaving it all on the course... Next morning, I am up with the sunrise and a swollen head. I wait 'til a reasonable hour before calling my partying friends for a run in the city (this seemed like a good idea last night when we were running through the streets of Boston). Julie, Tania, Robin and I agree to meet up for a run and brunch. By Sunday, the temperature had dropped by 40 degrees easily, and the wind was harsh.
Muscling our way through the run, we agreed that drinking the night before a run was Ironman race similation. haha! Always finding a way to incorporate training and life.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home