Beth Blake's Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What makes you love who you are?


^ my bike! 2000 Lemond Alpe D'Huez

Last Thursday, was my first time back on my bike since October. Given that Lake Placid is lurking around the corner, I figured it might be a good idea to remember the feel for my saddle and engage my cycling muscles.

My first time back on the saddle was kicked off by an 8-week Computrainer class at Fastsplits. Some of my regular training buddies - Tania and Joni joined me, as well as some old friends - Veronica and Lucy.

The class is taught by none other than pro triathlete - KAREN SMYERS! For those unaware, Karen is a major inspiration. Her approach to training, coaching, and life is holistic. She is a gifted and talented athlete, not to mention an amazing teacher and role model.

AND SHE IS TEACHING MY INDOOR CYCLING CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how fortunate I feel.

That being said, I was so nervous on Thursday. For most of the day, I felt insecure about this class. What if I was the slowest one? What if I couldn't finish the workout? What if this class shattered my already fraile ego?

After a tough couple weeks, I needed a good workout to blow some steam. I approached the class with a "let's worry about it when we cross that bridge" mentality.

I entered the class feeling half empty and left overflowing. By the end of the classs, I was glowing from the inside out.

How is it that a workout can make you feel so good?

I gained confidence
I learned new skills
I remembered old ones
I finished a workout taught by a pro
I was in the presence of great athletes!
I felt weak, yet overcame this
I took negative thoughts and chucked them out the door
I challenged myself
I forgave myslef
I gained knowledge
I spent time with good friends
I increased my energy
I got faster
I became stronger
I smiled
I appreciated my abilities
I loved myself!

This cycling class has proved to be a bargain. It has reminded me about why I do these crazy training sessions and events.

violins, please...


Many other people have their "feel good" catalyst. For some it is art, music, education, literature, religion, community, family, etc.

For me, it is triathlon.

I am so fortunate to have found this sport. It takes little effort to exude 'goodness' when I am triathloning. It brings out the person I wish I could be all the time.

I can't wait for class this week!

1 Comments:

  • I second this blog girly!! You continue to inspire me Beth

    By Blogger TriJoni, at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home