Going back for a second serving - OUCH!

^hungry? courtesy of www.matthewklein.com
Last night, I completed my final skate-skiing lesson at the Weston Ski Track. What a difference a week can make. I started to get the hang of it. My once wimpy leg push-offs were becoming more powerful and forceful glides.
My confidence grew - I was actually gliding! I was starting to get a little more daring. My shadow confirmed that I kinda looked like I was skate-skiing!
Following our instructor, my class and I made our way down the biggest hill on the track. For those who have been to Weston, you know which hill I am talking about. It is slightly bigger than a speed bump - nothing to fret about.
I was gliding. I was skiing. I was accelerating....
WHAM!
As if I was diving for a volleyball, I wiped out. Warmer temperatures earlier that day made for icy conditions once the mercury fell to 16 F. I lost my balance and shortly thereafter my confidence followed.
On my left side, I skidded down the hill as the rock-like snow scraped my body. An open wound on my left hip bone burned as the blood surfaced. The blow to my shoulder, thigh, and knee caused them to stiffen up. Worst of all, I felt deflated.
For a wee second, I wanted to cry. But I pulled myself together, stood up and glided my bruised ego, the best I could, over to my class.
My second helping of humble pie proved again, if you are willing to eat it, you can learn so much!
Sometimes when you take risks, you fail. But failing isn't so bad. Afterall, I got up again.
I still have a lot of work to do, but I am starting to believe in my abilities. I am opening a door to a new world - a world I knew nothing about a week ago.
...And I have some cool battle wounds to show for it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home