Beth Blake's Blog

Monday, May 08, 2006

My high point this weekend


^ don't you wish you could 'scratch and sniff'? photo courtesy of https://home.comcast.net/~mygardensite/lilacs.jpg


When I got into work today, my manager Thos, asked me what the high point of my training weekend was. Being the smart ass I am, I told him the Kancamagus Highway was probably the highest point that I was at - according to Wikipedia, the pass peaks at 2,855 feet.

But in all honesty, it is hard to pinpoint a specific event that made my weekend. So rather than name a time, place, distance, and/or speed, here are some reflections:

1. Riding in New Hampshire puts your life in perspective. Sometimes, I can get so consumed with my own life that I forget life goes on outside of my own. Riding alongside massive hills, wide open roads, vast forrests, and moose (yes, i saw a moose), you realize just how small you are. It is quite humbling and puts you right in your place, yet so beautiful and simple.

2. Connecting and re-connecting with friends gives you strength. It is amazing to be so vulnerable, and yet feel safe. I get this feeling from my friends at times in my life when it seems I will never "crest the hill". This unconditional love and support encourages me to get to the next level and helps me to take chances, push limits, or step outside of my comfort zone. This weekend reminded me how lucky I am.

3. Success is not always quantifiable. I felt very satisfied with all of my accomplishments this weekend but the ones that I find most satisfying are not the kind you would necessarily get a medal for. For example, on Saturday, I prematurely ended my swim workout when my shoulder started to flake-out on me. Normally, I would push through this pain - afterall, no pain, no gain. But I stopped, and took a look at the bigger picture. Pushing through that workout was not going to make me a better swimmer, but it could end my season. I was proud that I was able to recognize my body's limits and make a smart decision.

4. Stop to smell the flowers. On Sunday, I did my long run in Concord. I was focused on my run. I was out to take care of business, and kept a steady yet challenging pace. But as I neared Concord Center, I started to pass by some of the most beautiful flowers. Most noticeable were the lilacs. The vibrant purple and over-powering scent lined my running route. I started to slow down at each bush and take a deep breath. Why rush by? Lilacs are not out year round. Lesson learned: appreciate what you have while you have it.

I am fortunate to have experienced all that I did this weekend. Thank you to all who were a part of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home