Keep it flowing - my first acupuncture experience
I have been waiting for a good excuse to see an acupuncturist for a couple years now. The idea of acupuncture makes me feel Zen, so imagine what the actual practice of it can do?!
For the past 6 weeks, the left side of my body, from my leg to my lower back had been rather achy. On a couple rides, my leg went numb, but since there wasn't pain, I pressed on. After traversing relentless hills at training weekend, my body had had enough.
I decided to turn this injury into an opportunity and booked an appointment with acupuncturist Carol Green.
Similar to most doctor visits, we started off discussing my current and past health history. But unlike a doctor visit, she inquired about my stresses, nutrition, body temperature and overall well-being. I was flattered that she detected "good energy" from me and couldn't wait for the treatment to begin.
I started off on my back where she stuck the needles in various areas. She noted that my kidney-area seemed swollen and advised that I eat more foods that would nourish my kidneys, including beets, sweet potatos, almonds, etc. After Carol stuck the last needle in, she left the room and I was alone with myself.
Do I feel different? What's going on?
There was no obvious change in my body. When you get a massage, there is an instant change, which usually goes something like -- touch, push, PAIN, release... ahhhhhhh!
By the time Carol returned to do my flip side, I had noticed a subtle difference. It wasn't necessarily a release of pain, but it was an energy. I felt my insides moving about - almost as if I was a rusty ol' bike chain that had just been oiled well.
As she was finishing up my front side, Carol placed one of the needles between my left foot's big and pointer toe - this made me grimace. She asked the obvious, "Did that hurt?" It turns out, this strategic place on my foot effects my left leg. She mentioned that having massage on my left foot would likely help the flow in my left leg. Amazing how your body is connected.
Before I knew it my session was up. Carol removed all the needles and I slowly rose from the table.
I felt like I was in a fog - I was not in the past or future. I was being.
My body was relaxed, loose, energized, and flowing. The pain on my left leg was not entirely gone, but it was not stiff and my range of motion did not feel limited, as it had before.
I just felt good.
My next appointment is in two weeks, which she will try a couple other Eastern Asian therapies, in addition to the needles.
I plan to keep the energy flowing until Lake Placid, at the very least.
p.s. in an effort to learn more about my chakras, I found this test online.
For the past 6 weeks, the left side of my body, from my leg to my lower back had been rather achy. On a couple rides, my leg went numb, but since there wasn't pain, I pressed on. After traversing relentless hills at training weekend, my body had had enough.
I decided to turn this injury into an opportunity and booked an appointment with acupuncturist Carol Green.
Similar to most doctor visits, we started off discussing my current and past health history. But unlike a doctor visit, she inquired about my stresses, nutrition, body temperature and overall well-being. I was flattered that she detected "good energy" from me and couldn't wait for the treatment to begin.
I started off on my back where she stuck the needles in various areas. She noted that my kidney-area seemed swollen and advised that I eat more foods that would nourish my kidneys, including beets, sweet potatos, almonds, etc. After Carol stuck the last needle in, she left the room and I was alone with myself.
Do I feel different? What's going on?
There was no obvious change in my body. When you get a massage, there is an instant change, which usually goes something like -- touch, push, PAIN, release... ahhhhhhh!
By the time Carol returned to do my flip side, I had noticed a subtle difference. It wasn't necessarily a release of pain, but it was an energy. I felt my insides moving about - almost as if I was a rusty ol' bike chain that had just been oiled well.
As she was finishing up my front side, Carol placed one of the needles between my left foot's big and pointer toe - this made me grimace. She asked the obvious, "Did that hurt?" It turns out, this strategic place on my foot effects my left leg. She mentioned that having massage on my left foot would likely help the flow in my left leg. Amazing how your body is connected.
Before I knew it my session was up. Carol removed all the needles and I slowly rose from the table.
I felt like I was in a fog - I was not in the past or future. I was being.
My body was relaxed, loose, energized, and flowing. The pain on my left leg was not entirely gone, but it was not stiff and my range of motion did not feel limited, as it had before.
I just felt good.
My next appointment is in two weeks, which she will try a couple other Eastern Asian therapies, in addition to the needles.
I plan to keep the energy flowing until Lake Placid, at the very least.
p.s. in an effort to learn more about my chakras, I found this test online.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home